China’s New Military Build-Up
China has had a busy few months of announcements. It’s military build-up grew by more than 13% year-over-year and its technology and posturing has been a major threat to its neighbors.
Some of its latest innovations:
- China unveiled its first stealth jet
- Reached the early operating phase of a “carrier-killer” missile, the first-ever capable of targeting our carriers under way from a long distance
- Sea-tested its first-ever aircraft carrier capable of delivering their new missiles
China’s initial military intent seems to be regional. ”China has made less progress on capabilities that extend global reach or power projection,” the report, released Wednesday, reads. “Outside of peacetime counter-piracy missions, for example, China’s Navy has little operational experience beyond regional waters.”
“Although this alone is a serious concern,” the report says, “the accesses and skills required for these intrusions are similar to those necessary to conduct computer network attacks.” It carefully parses Chinese official writings to highlight a growing importance of cyber — far more than the 2010 version did.
“It’s no secret that cyber is a realm where deeper engagement between the United States and China — so that we can work on common rules of the road and a common way forward — is necessary,” Schiffer said.
- U.S. warns on militarily strong China (edition.cnn.com)
- China could build a modern military by 2020, says Pentagon (guardian.co.uk)
- China military ‘closing key gaps’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Pentagon Warns China’s Military Is Growing Rapidly (foxnews.com)
- DOD report outlines China concerns (politico.com)