Microsoft Buying Skype for $8.5b is Silly at Best
I guess it’s good news for Canada, who owns some 50% of Skype, but it’s hard to envision what Microsoft intends to do with Skype for corporate IT. It has security weaknesses, puts a heavy load on some user’s machines and networks and is generally quite the hack.
Perhaps Microsoft is continuing to play defense. It’s been hit hard in the search engine business, smartphone business, the server operating system business and even the embedded computing space. Perhaps this is its chance to regain some form of credibility.
Perhaps its a future add-on to Windows Lice Messenger and Lync?
But $8.5 billion? Come on.
- What is Microsoft thinking, paying $8.5B for Skype? (infoworld.com)
- Microsoft blocked Skype from seeking other bidders (electronista.com)
- What Seattle analysts think about Microsoft + Skype (seattlepi.com)
- Microsoft Buying Skype for $8.5B (news.slashdot.org)
- Microsoft will acquire Skype (blogs.skype.com)