Prevention is better than cure . . . UltraWellness a new Paradigm shift
We all know that human body is complicated and consists of 90% of water content. It’s a great challenge for all of us to be in better health. Dr. Mark Hyman shares some insights on better health without having any medicine and how we can achieve these.
He strongly feels that our eating habits determine our health. It’s the root cause of all health problems. He talks about how we changed our eating habits over a period of time. Basically, he strongly condemns the food factory and medical doctors. He suggests that a simple food plan over 2-4 weeks can change your health and if you continue to follow these, you will feel better and healthy and get rid of aging.
UltraWellness is a new approach pioneered by Mark Hyman, M.D., that shows you how to work with the fundamental underlying laws by which your body operates to create optimal health. This is 21st-century medicine is finally available to everyone.
This new approach is based on the cutting edge science of systems biology and functional medicine. If put it simply, this means that UltraWellness works with your body as an integrated whole to achieve what conventional medicine cannot.
Here are the 7 keys to your UltraWellness. Try it and you will be amazed with its powers.
- How Your Environment Affects Your Health
- The Hidden Threat of Inflammation
- How to Balance Your Hormones to Control Your Mood, Weight and Health
- Why Your Digestive System is the Core of Good Health
- How to Rid Your Body of Deadly Poisions by Optimizing Your Detoxification System
- How to Boost Your Energy By Optimizing Your Mitochondria
- How to Improve Your Health by Optimizing your Body-Mind Connection
The process is relatively simple:
- first, identify which of your seven key underlying systems isn’t working correctly;
- second, remove the sources that are causing problems with each one of those keys; and
- third, nourish each of these systems with what it needs to function optimally. Then, your body’s natural intelligence takes over and automatically fixes your remaining problems.
Dr. Hyman has written several books (UltraMetabolism, The Ultra Thyroid Solution, The UltraMetabolism Cookbook, The Ultra Simple Diet, UltraPrevention) and many audio video programs. You can also visit http://www.ultrawellness.com/store to know about these.
UltraMetabolism is a simple plan of 8 week program for automatic weight reduction and optimal health. It consists of mix of recipes and natural way of achieving this. You can also search more UltraMetabolism recipes or join the community for more details.
UltraPrevention is a 6-week plan that will make you Healthy for life. In this book he talks about how to eliminate the five forces, which makes us sick. Also, talking about the principles for restoring and maintaining health. He speaks about underlying causes of sickness.
Some information and facts mentioned by Dr. Hyman are written below to raise your awareness and consciousness.
According to Dr. Hyman:
“The fact is that the human body is complicated. It has evolved over hundreds of thousands of years. There is no one magic bullet that will shoot down all your health issues.”
“I believe, however, that once you stop falling for the myths of modern medicine and once you begin adopting the recommendations of Ultraprevention you will be on your way to a future of better health.”
“Ultraprevention, is a new paradigm of well-being and a system of thought, evaluation, and treatment derived from the scientific study of health. This system is based on remarkable truths uncovered by researchers over the last few years. These truths provide tremendous insights into our health and give us a framework that not only explains but unites the processes of health and illness.”
The five forces of illness are:
- Malnutrition or sludge
- Impaired Metabolism or burnout
- Inflammation or heat
- Impaired detoxification or waste
- Oxidative stress or rust
“I believe that every person who pays attention to these forces will enjoy better health. My program is not just about getting better when you feel ill – it is about staying better so you don’t have to feel ill at all.”
“Many doctors talk about early detection as the cornerstone of prevention. But true prevention has to start long before detection can occur. Why? Patients are not an ambulatory collection of separate organs and various conditions – everything in the body is related. Imbalances or dysfunctions in one system lead to added stresses in the other systems. When these stresses and imbalances tax the organ reserve symptoms and illness result. Remember the old children’s song – the Thighbone is connected to the hipbone… No organism can exist in isolation, and neither can a body system. Most doctors don’t try to put the clues together to form a big pictures – we do!”
Consider the person who has a heart attack — The heart attack didn’t occur out of the blue. It was preceded by decades of plaque buildup caused by oxidation (rusting) of fats in the bloodstream, which became deposited in the wall of the artery, followed by activation of the immune system leading to inflammation (heat) in the wall of the artery and this was aggravated by malnutrition (sludge) and tipped over by the resulting stress on the detoxification (waste) system which finally made one of those plaques break open and rupture causing a clot to form that in turn caused your heart attack. There is a similar chain of events with all common illnesses. The beginnings of all these diseases are like the first in a long line of dominoes to fall in a reaction that may take years to complete eventually ending with the diagnosis of a preventable illness. We look for the very first domino and pick it up before it has a chance to fall. The human body can right itself, if given the chance to do so.
You can identify the illness if you conduct the test as per below parameters. Here are some answers to your queries if you have the above illness.
Test for Malnutrition:
- Homocysteine — Blood test. The Ideal level is less than 9
- Essential Fatty Acids — Blood test. Measured in the red blood cells (Test for Omega 3, 6, and other fatty acids directly)
- Red Blood cell mineral levels — Blood test. Test for the levels of Magnesium, Selenium, Iodine, Zinc and Copper.
- Methylmalonic Acid — Blood or Urine Test. High levels indicate a B12 deficiency.
- Stool analysis — determines digestion and absorption. This will identify if foods are not being broken down and digested properly, or not being absorbed.
Test for Impaired Metabolism:
- Urinary Organic Acids — By measuring acidic compounds in the urine provides a rich amount of information about nutritional aspects of cellular energy production.
- Cardiometabolic stress testing: Measuring oxygen consumption during exercise (VO2 Max) tests for your mitochondria’s metabolic capacity.
- Insulin response test: Normal insulin values at two hours are less than 25 and a normal glucose level is less than 140.
- Lipid profile: Total cholesterol (LDL, HDL, triglycerides) A triglyceride level over 150 or a triglyceride to HDL ratio greater than 4.3 are highly suggestive of insulin resistance as is an HDL level of less than 40.
- TSH or Thyroid Stimulating Hormone — Blood Test. Normal Level is 0.3 to 3.5 with the optimal being 1.0-2.0.
- Free T3 and Free T4: Direct measurement of thyroid hormone in the blood in conjunction with the TSH level provides helpful information regarding thyroid function.
- Thyroid antibodies: This test can detect people at risk of developing hypothyroidism because these antibodies attack the thyroid gland.
- Resting metabolic rate. Clues us into the presence of an underactive thyroid gland.
Test for Inflammation:
- C-reactive protein – The high-sensitivity CRP (Normal levels 0.7 or less)
- Sedimentation rate (SED rate) High SED rates indicated inflammation (Normal values <20)
- Fibrinogen level — Blood Test: Fibrinogen is one of the chief constituents involved in clotting and is made by the liver. It rises in response to inflammation.
- Food Allergy blood tests: I measure the levels of antibodies (IgG, IgE) in the blood to a battery of different foods, potentially reactive foods.
- Gluten/Celiac disease — Blood Test: Specific tests check for gluten allergy and include the anti-gliadin antibody test and the tissue transglutaminase assay.
- Tests for Infections: Antibody tests (H. Pylori and Lyme disease), PCR tests and Cultures.
Test for Impaired Detoxification:
- Detoxification challenge test (Blood and Urine Test) Delayed or impaired detoxification in a specific area can point to nutritional deficiencies involved in detoxification or weak enzyme systems in the liver.
- Blood reduced Glutathione
- Hair analysis: A screening test for heavy metal toxicity (mercury, arsenic, lead, and cadmium)
- Urinary organic acids: Provides information about the body’s ability to detoxify certain solvents as well as hormones and carcinogens.
Test for Oxidative stress:
- Lipid peroxides — Blood or Urine. Measuring the level provides and index of the body’s antioxidant status.
- Superoxide dismutase (SOD), Gluathione peroxidase (GSHPx) and catalase. These are three of the most important natural anti-oxidant enzymes.
- Glutathione — Blood Test
- Urinary hydroxyl markers: Levels of free radicals such as catechol and 2,3-dihydroxybenzoate.
- Blood anti-oxidant levels. Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Co-enzyme Q10 and Beta Carotene
Why do we test for these?
Most doctors don’t pay attention to any of these forces because they operated under this method — if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. The problem as I see it is that “it” may well be broken already. But most Doctors don’t realize this because they wait until something is damaged almost beyond repair before they act.
Knowledge provide by these tests gives us the advantage over other Doctors — they give us lead time to prevent them from occurring.
It is up to you. One of the greatest changes taking place in our medical system is the empowerment of the patient. Everyone needs to become their own health advocate.
Dr. Mark Hayman – A biography
Mark Hyman, M.D., is author of the New York Times bestseller The UltraSimple Diet, co-author of the New York Times bestseller Ultraprevention (Scribner), which won a Books for a Better Life Award, creator of The Detox Box, and author of The Five Forces of Wellness. There are nearly 1 million copies of Dr. Hyman’s books in print in the U.S. His New York Times bestseller, UltraMetabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss, published in more than 12 languages, also hit The Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestseller lists and was the #1 health book on Amazon the year it was published. He is Editor-in-Chief of “Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine” and the Medical Editor of “Natural Solutions.”
He has appeared on Weekend Today, Good Morning America Weekend, The Early Show, The View, and CNN, FOX, PBS, and NPR, as well as in leading consumer magazines including Body & Soul, Elle, Family Circle, Fitness, Glamour, Health, Men’s Health, Natural Health, Parade, Self, Shape, Town & Country, and Woman’s World. Hyman’s website, www.ultrawellness.com, empowers health care consumers by enabling them to take advantage of the medicine of the future, today.